17 Tips And Remedies For The Flu part1
The “best” flu remedy seems to vary by who you talk to. Some people think that certain over-the-counter medications are the best way to get relief. Others feel homeopathic remedies work the best. Still others feel that only their doctor can help make them make the appropriate choice.
If you talked to my husband he would tell you the best flu remedy is to not get the flu (he’s not always the most helpful person). He talks smart because he hardly ever gets sick. I’m very jealous of him. I think his genes must be better than mine because he doesn’t eat healthier or exercise any more than I do yet I get sick a lot more often than he does.
I catch the flu nearly every year. I’ve tried over-the-counter medications, some homeopathic remedies, and have gone to my doctor when I’ve gotten bad cases of the flu.
Below I’ve listed some common, and some not so common remedies for the flu. Some of the remedies are homeopathic; others involve taking over-the counter medications; while others are prescription.
1) This first item is more of a suggestion to keep yourself from getting sick again rather than a remedy but I think it’s a really good tip. Put your toothbrush in a cup with hydrogen peroxide in it to prevent you from re-infecting yourself (especially if you have a cold). Toothbrushes are a haven for germs and the hydrogen peroxide will kill the bacteria on your toothbrush. You may decide to put your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide every day to kill the bacteria that accumulate.
2) In addition to putting your toothbrush in a cup of hydrogen peroxide you may want to put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ears. It can help kill flu (or cold) germs. Sometimes the hydrogen peroxide will sting a little. The process is to put a few drops in one ear with a cotton ball or a Q-tip. After a few minutes drain the excess fluid out onto a Kleenex or paper towel. Then do the same thing in the other ear. Repeat the process after an hour or two. Continue to repeat until the hydrogen peroxide doesn’t bubble when it’s put into the ear (usually after 2 or 3 times). The hydrogen peroxide is said to be most effective if it’s used as soon as possible after getting sick.
3) Elderberry extract can lessen the duration of the flu according to studies done in Israel. Talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or herbalist for advice on how much and how often to take it, and also to make sure it will not interfere with any other medications or supplements you may already be taking.
4) Boneset is another herb said to help lessen the intensity and duration of the flu. It is usually added to boiled water, along with honey and lemon (to make it easier to drink) and then sipped. Again, consult with your doctor, pharmacist or herbalist for the recommended dosage.
5) Oscillococcinum is a popular homeopathic/natural product taken to help with the flu symptoms of body aches and pains, fever, and chills. One of the reasons it is so popular is that it does not cause drowsiness.
6) Naturoksinum is another natural flu remedy available. It is touted as being able to cut the severity of flu symptoms in half. It is one of the most popular flu remedies in France and is available for purchase in the United States.
7) Echinacea is another popular natural remedy for the
flu. Again, because it is an herbal product, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or herbalist to make sure it is safe for you to take and that it does not interfere with any other medications or supplements you are currently taking.
8) Tamiflu and Relenza are two prescription medications available for treating the flu. For either medication to work best it should be taken with two days of the onset of flu symptoms. Both Tamiflu and Relenza work by preventing the flu virus from infecting cells in the body that are still healthy, and they both work against influenza A and B.
9) Drink health juices such as mangosteen, noni, goji, aloe vera, or acai berry. They are not only great juices to drink if you get the flu, but they can also help prevent it because the juices are good at boosting a person’s immune system. My personal health juice of choice is a mangosteen juice. It tastes great and helps me feel better overall.